5/31/14

My favorite dimsum place in Binondo

 
And it was really love when I first tasted those juicy round dumplings otherwise known as Xiao Long Bao in Binondo. It became sacred ritual for me: You put a dumpling in your soup spoon, Then you bathe it with Chinese vinegar. Pierce a little hole through the soft and delicate wrapper just enough to let out the juices from inside. Close your eyes and slurp the soup that came out. Then you put the dumpling in your mouth and savor everything slowly while you thank God for this wonderful creation.

My friends and I would always make this our lunch stop after rummaging through camera shops in Hidalgo before heading out to Escolta and Manila bay during our photowalks. I learned of this place through Ivan Man Dy's Old Manila Walks and I believe this place gained popularity also through him. Since then people have been going to this restaurant to get a taste of the famed dumplings.

Three years later I've come back to this hole in the wall restaurant to find that nothing much has changed except that it's brighter and cleaner now with a more visible signage outside. Visiting on a Sunday spared me from the waiting time as the place would always be filled with people. There are only 4 table sets inside and one would have to wait in line outside on a regular day.

 

I did not order Xiao Long Bao but instead asked for Kutchay dumplings with pork. The dumplings are prepared in the dining area so you can see them making the dumpling wrappers and filling with them with kutchay and pork mixture. They also sell frozen dumplings if you want them cooked at home.



Each bite would burst into your mouth releasing irresistible flavors you never quite expected from a simple and unassuming little dumpling. Paired with Chinese vinegar and you could not ask for anything more except maybe for a bowl of fried rice. It sent me back to happier days.

 
 Dong Bei Dumpling is located at Yuchengco Street near Binondo Church.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A film P&S and a TLR