10/20/09

changing lanes
















I
came across rangefinderfilipinas while surfing the net. It was a different kind of community because the people there know what they are talking about. the forum is very informative as they discuss almost everything about film photography. and it was right then and there that i realized there was so much i have yet to learn. I was getting frustrated with lomography because the experience was kind of a hit or miss thing for me. No concept behind every shot. It was just... pointless.

I wanted to explore rangefinders but i needed to buy one first. I searched for a camera that would not be too complicated to use for a newbie like me. I narrowed down my choice to the fed-2. I ordered it through ebay and it came after 23 days of waiting. It was a test of patience since it was my first time purchasing from a foreign seller. I was also scared of the customs tax that would be levied on the camera. Luckily, i was able to get the camera without any additional taxes.

The fed-2 has a different feel to other cameras i have held before. first of all, it is heavy and it looks like a tank. compared to my previous cameras, it actually feels sturdier. Lomos are made of plastic and i always felt that i could break them any moment. secondly, this camera has fully loaded specs. It gives me more options on how i would like to expose the film. It would help me learn proper exposure and more importantly understand exposure itself. For the first time in my journey into photography, i never felt any anxiety towards the camera. I feel that i'm in control. That this camera would be able to show what truly is in my thoughts. not just spontaneous pictures that i didn't expect to show in the first place.

I shot a test roll though it and i was surprised at the results. I am assured that this time i took the right decision


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A film P&S and a TLR