9/18/11

This is Manila

I used to walk these streets almost every week before. It was, for me, a very therapeutic experience to be lost in Manila. To be in a place where everything is unfamiliar to me and moments where all I have is myself and my camera. The camera being an extension of my vision and there is nothing more to worry about. 

The streets are bipolar. Some of them are bursting with life while others are empty with nothing but the short glimpses of light passing through the spaces between roofs of buildings. Some still have that historic atmosphere to them while others appear to me as dark and apocalyptic. Some parts are perfectly safe while others have that element of danger I always hear of in the evening news. Nevertheless, It doesn't matter much to me because the unpredictability of it all is what urges me to keep on going back. It offers me a brief escape from the dull routines of daily life.













I've been busy with work lately and I haven't had much time to go visit Manila. Technically my work is located in Manila but it is isolated and very far from where I usually go. Also working from 9 to 5 has that draining effect on me. I wish I could take pictures after work but it's either I'm too tired or I have to hurry and catch the train going home. And this has been part of the reason why I've been caught thinking too much and too deep recently. I desperately need an adventure.


P.S. I regularly contribute to this photo-blog about Manila: http://thisismanila.tumblr.com

please check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A film P&S and a TLR